Wednesday, March 17

Settling In

Well, we are all adjusting quite nicely to the new dog/pup. The kids are absolutely crazy about him. I find myself paying more attention to Marley than I used to just to try and compensate. Sam has done well, paying equal attention to all the pets. Some evenings he can be found on the couch with a cat on his lap and a dog on each side. He’s such a “pet pleaser”.
Jet, the new pup, is extremely amusing. He was definitely NOT a house dog wherever he was before he showed up here. So, we have been house training…with milk bones. This dog is either a) very smart, b)very hungry. The milk bones are working like a charm. I’ve never seen a dog housetrain so quickly. He literally will go out and squeeze a drop out just so he can have a bone. It’s amusing to me. We have only had one pee accident all told…and he is starting to pick up on poo-ing outside now too.
IMG_0942
Yesterday, I had an epiphany. I looked at him and wondered why he was so irresistible to me. Stray dogs come by our house with some fair amount of frequency and never once have I even considered letting them in. Never once considered house training. Or facing teething again. But this dog drew me in. Instantly. Then it hit me. He reminds me strongly of my childhood dog Bridget. Bridget was the only dog I ever truly loved. Her death left a doggy hole in my adolescent heart. I don’t think I ever talked to anyone about it either. But her death hit me very hard. She was the first loss I ever suffered.
Jet stirs all that affection up. So, despite the house training, and the puppy chewing (we are currently down 4 flip flops and a coon skin cap) and the not so restful nights, I’m all in. I hope he doesn’t get much bigger, he already thinks he’s roughly the same size as Marley.
IMG_0944He is just so endearing to me…the way he waits for the kids to get home…
The way he fights with the cat…
He even lays like Bridget…recognize this pose???
IMG_0957He’s in my heart for good…so I guess we’ll revamp and replan and figure out how to fit a new pooch in our hearts and home.
Love you all!   

9 comments:

  1. I love his name!! Sounds like you're quite smitten with the "little" guy!! Any idea how old he may be? Looks like he's made himself quite at home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. im all in.....i love him. the more dogs the better.....although i dont know that eve would appreciate sharing out affection with another....

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK so your favorite dog ever is the one that BIT you? 4 stitches in your lip? the one we picked up at the Ohio State fair because the guy that brought them took off? You are a piece of work, but I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bridget?? this is the same dog that bit you? 4 stiches in your lip? You are a pip, but I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ang, we are thinking probably about 6 months old...well, I am. lol
    Mom ~ Yes, i guess she infected me with the bite. One of my most vived early memories, sadly, is of her illness at the end. I can still remember the smell and how sad I felt. She was a good dog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must have something to do with my love of all things "Ohio State Fair"!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hon, I am happy for all of you and that he is doing so well with everyone. He is a great addition to the family. I love you all and miss you all very much.

    Love you Gorgeous....MORE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that puppy is so adorable!!! how can ya not take him look at that face lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty sure your (new)pup is a Queensland Blueheeler...An Australian cattle dog. I used to have one...
    I'v been enjoying your journal this evening...

    ReplyDelete