Tuesday, April 12

The Compromise

Maggie was a bit of a surprise, if you know what I mean. She was life lesson #12734, You CAN get pregnant when you’re nursing.
She is the only girl, which means she has an unimaginable amount of clothes. And shoes…good Lord, so many shoes. But, she’s always gotten hand-me-down furniture. She totally lucked into a lovely daybed, from her Grandma…but has been, since birth, using her brother Liam’s cast off dresser. His very SMALL cast off dresser. (Life lesson # 17682, an unimaginable amount of clothes do not fit in a very small cast off dresser. )
So, I promised her at the beginning of March, we would buy her a new dresser in April.  And she rubbed her little hands together and giggled maniacally and plotted and picked out this…
2800-Harden
And the arguments began. I said, no, absolutely not. That dresser will NOT work. And she cried and moaned and ripped her clothes from her chest. Well, ok, that’s a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea.
For a full month, we bickered and fought and I held firm. I was not going to allow her to pick out a dresser that she would hate in 5 years…because Jon and I are NOT going to buy her another new dresser in 5 years.
I was having nothing but that she was getting a solid white dresser. She hated me. HATED ME!!!
But, as we wandered through the dressers at American Freight I had a “Mommy Moment” . That is right, a stroke of GENIUS!! For just a moment, I turned into my mother… and I made a promise to Mags.
If she would agree to the solid white dresser, we would go to Wal-Mart and let her pick out wall stickers to use to “decorate” the dresser. Stickers that would PEEL RIGHT OFF when she got tired of them. And the girl was happy.
This is what she ended up with…
IMG_0001
…the compromise.
I love you all!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!! What a wonderful idea!! You ARE a genius!! lol How big is the dresser? We've been looking into getting the kids dressers, but want something practical & durable as well!! Andy has just about outgrown his plastic set of drawers on wheels!! lol And just so you know, Sarah has TONS of clothes, and shoes, and purses, and...well, you get the idea! I think it's a girl thing!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ang, it's quite large, we are VERY happy with it. You will have to stop by and check it out. It was a little more than we had planned to spend, but worth it I think. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great Mothers Day gift, I think I just heard you say, "my Mother is smart"!!!! Love it and very clever.

    ReplyDelete