Thursday, April 7

Who'd A'Thunk It???

I confess, I was expecting the worst...my awkward, gangly, 6ft tall boy was participating in his first ever track meet yesterday. I went expecting to see a live version of America's Funniest Videos. That was NOT what I got!

To help you understand my position, I give you exhibit A...
This is what Sam usually looks like to me...now the setting changes, but the posture does not. He's my "gamer". NOT my runner.

But, he blew me away and was actually pretty good! I'm completely new to the "Field and Track" world. I was totally lost initially, on what in the WORLD was going on. So much chaos, so many things happening all at once. So MANY kids!! Highland has 78 kids on their track team. I think yesterday was an invite...so there were also 3 other schools there: Centerburg, Marion Grant and Mt Gilead Christian.

Amazingly, Sam took 1st place in the long jump. His jump was 13'8"...which he said, "sucked". He was sure he wouldn't win that one early on. His longest jump so far was 15'2" and he felt pretty confident that yesterdays jump would get trumped easily, but what do you know? It DIDN'T!

He also took 2nd place in the 100 meter Hurdles...


...by .2 of a second... and i'm guessin' that's about all he won 1st place in the 200 meter Hurdles by...
It was a close finish. It shouldn't have been...
He started out really well.
Then on the second hurdle, he landed wrong and stumbled. Scraped up his hands pretty good, but he didn't go down, he recovered.

And he prevailed...he did great. Jon and I are both SO PROUD if him...he's GOOD at this! GO SAM!!!
I will keep you posted on how he does! I love you all!

3 comments:

  1. So there's still hoe for my gangly girl then? She's all legs, arms, and mouth!! lol ANyway...WAY TO GO SAM!! I figured he'd do well...he's built like a runner. BTW...it was good to "see" you yesterday, even if it was a beep & wave!! ;o) We need to try to get the girls together before school gets out!! I miss you guys a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay..."hoe" should be HOPE!! lol oops...my bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Sam! You made me a very proud Grandpa!
    Showing pictures at work and everything!

    Love, Poppy Jr.

    ReplyDelete