Monday, January 17

Sick Sucks

After 4 days of running a fever with no other symptoms, on Saturday evening, we took Liam to Childrens Close to Home Urgent Care. UC was a madhouse, no 2 ways about it. They were overcrowded, overworked, overwhelmed. Still, the nurse who admitted Liam really ticked my tock. She acted like I was an idiot for bringing him in with nothing but a fever. All but rolling her eyes at us, she failed to get a throat culture, despite the fact that I told her strep was epidemic at his school right now, and had us shown to a room. After seeing him and checking his throat and ears, the Dr. said he looked ok, but given the prevalence of strep coming into the office, she still wanted to get him a strep test. Thank God. Liam didn't exactly take the strep "tickle" like a champ, but he took it. After she left the room, he turned to us and said with astonishment, "She touched my uvula." It was hilarious. His strep test came back positive and he is now taking amoxicillin and on the mend.
I have been fighting a cold since around Christmas, and last night started feeling like rather than battling it back I was beginning to succumb to it, getting worse. So this morning I promptly called my drs office and got in to see the nurse practitioner. Let me just say, that at my drs office anyhow, the nurse practitioner cannot be beat. While the Dr's there are nearly impossible to get into on short notice and even more impossible to get any real attention from, NP Linda Ambrose is wonderful. She is usually easy to get in to see, and she treats me like a patient. A patient she remembers from visit to visit. She does not make me feel like a timeslot. She makes me feel like me getting better is just as important to her as it is to me. I adore her. After checking me out she diagnosed a double ear infection and possible strep. She opted not to do a strep test, I can only assume because she was prescribing antibiotics already. She also upped the dosage of my Advair and gave me a months supply of the higher dose. Just until I get well, at which point she said I can go back down to the lower dosage I was taking now. Then she got me a shot in the ass. So, Liam and I are both on the mend. And I say, being sick SUCKS!
Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you went, as I've been concerned since your text! Take care and love you all too!

    ReplyDelete