Thursday, March 26

My Job Description...?

I was thinking about my life this morning as I vacuumed...Decided that I would share what I think and see what you all think. For centuries women have labored to achieve "equal rights" for women. What does that MEAN really? It's amazing to me that MOST of my friends/peers are stay at home moms. I grew up believing that I would have a Job outside the home ~ which is kind of funny because while I wanted to "be" many things as I was growing up I ALWAYS wanted to be a mom. I can remember in my early childhood watching commercials of women scrubbing floors and toilets and taking care of their children and fantasizing about being those women one day. Now here I am ~ I'm that woman. And I am HAPPY and FULFILLED...in ways I don't think I could be working outside the home. Yes, I work one day a week in an office (this week), but I don't look at it like a job. It's more like a lark ~ I do it for fun. It's a social outlet. I enjoy having my own money, but only because my money is "fun" money. I like buying Jon's birthday and christmas gifts with MY money. But, from the beginning my "workplace" knew that my REAL JOB comes first. If my kids are sick or have a snow day, I'm at home with them.
So, what does stay at home mom mean to me? Obviously, it means my children and my husband are my job. Sometimes I deserve a "Needs to Improve". I'm not the greatest at dinner! I struggle wth planning it and often with execution... it's my least favorite part of my job and I tend to blow off the importance of that task. I KNOW I need to improve in that area...
I excell at "housekeeping". I was not always a clean freak and my family can attest to that. Fo some reason, that is one task I take VERY SERIOUSLY. I am a homemaker ~ and I believe that because I am home all day my husband and children have a RIGHT to EXPECT to have a clean, comforting. LOVING home all the time. They have a right to expect to have clean jeans and socks and underwear all the time. I struggle with the fact that I need to teach them to do all these things as well...because I feel like then they will be doing MY JOB. Sam knows HOW to do laundry...but unless he's being punished for putting clean clothes in the dirty laundry ( I have used this means of punishment before)...I would never make him do my job.
So, what do you think?? What do you think being a homemaker means?? What do you struggle with?

4 comments:

  1. Hon, I think you do an awesome job at making our house a home. You do a great job at dinner also. It is hard to prepare a meal for five people and make something that everyone likes. We all have different taste. You will make most of us happy with every meal but not all. So, stop worrying about it. If anything, let the kids pick a meal a week that they would like you to make. Not sure if that will work or not but it is an idea. As far as the kids doing your JOB around the house. It is our job to teach them the things that they will need to do in life. I need to do a better job of that and have been trying to teach Sam what I know about all that I would expect him to help you with if something ever happens to me. I don't think it is wrong to teach them to clean and expect them to keep their rooms clean. That is their jobs as children. At what point in time do we give them responsibility outside of school? All of them are old enough to keep their room clean and to do other chores outside of their room. Like taking out the garbage or helping clean up the dishes after dinner. You do a lot to take care of us and we need to do our part to take care of you. I thank you for all that you do to take care of us. You are truly a blessing and I am very thankful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldnt begin to comment on this, as I have no right. I don't pretend to know what it is like to be a SAHM and I wont make assumptions. I will say I am sure it is harder than it seems to most. Also, youre opinions are justified seeing as how you ARE what you speak of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it means different things to different families. Basically, I think being a wife and mother means you strive to create a nurturing environment for your family. If I can get a wee bit esoteric for a moment, men provide the creative energy in a relationship (Why, hello, Sperm) and women nurture it and raise it up into something higher. It's a constant cycle, and children are the living representation of your union - so of course, you want to nurture them, too. I think it's all about putting each other first and serving one another, and everything else will fall into place.

    As far as the specific jobs - girlie, you're OCD. I'm sure it's all fine. :))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been awhile since you last posted a blog...did you get info on your job description that said to QUIT BLOGGING??? If so then I want to know WHO it was...lol!!!! Get a post up soon :)

    ReplyDelete