Monday, May 4

A New Beginning...

Today, Jon and I went to Glass Garden Greenhouse and bought our produce for the summer. Well, a portion of it anyway! Right behnd the basement steps/entrance I have a little patch where I planted mint (apple and chocolate) and strawberries. honestly, the strawberries I just sort of threw in there...not knowing what ese to do with them at the time...strawberries appear to be very hardy and low maintenance! So, after we got home, I did some cleaning up in that bed and added my new herbs. I got oregano, chives and cilantro ~ and cleared enough space to add my lettuce (bibb & romaine) and spinach. The kids love when I grow salad greens. They just go out back and cut it and bring it in and eat it! Well, they always add dressing and cheese, but hey! It's vegetables at least! So, I use the mint primarily to flavor my iced tea ~ I'm excited about the new additions though. I have plans to make salsa and guacamole! MMMmmmm! For the garden, we purchased tomatoes (grape, roma, and beefsteak)...ahh...the best of intentions! The Roma are purely for canning, so hopefully, I'll actually DO IT this year! We also bought cucumbers, peppers (california wonder, mild banana and golden bell), broccolli and musk melon. The long range forecast looks real good as far as low temps go...so I think we may try to get it in this week!
Which will be a major undertaking for Jon!! Because this is what it looks like right now!!

All those little green "plants" are thistles :( ~ he sprayed it with weed killer this afternoon...it will probably have to be tilled at LEAST three times!! Oh well, as of this week...he has nothing but time! I will post pics when we have it all in! I love you all!!


1 comment:

  1. Yep, you're a hobbit all right! But I admire you!

    ReplyDelete