Monday, November 24

Sam's Conference:

Well, tonight I conferenced with Sam's teachers. Always a pleasure...sigh!
According to them my boy is extremely intelligent, and extremely attached to finding the easy way out of everything! Not news to me...well ok ~ a little news to me. I have to admit...my first question for his math teacher was"Are you absolutely certain he should be in the advanced math class? Because last week he told me he guessed the answers to the end of year test. And frankly, his grades do NOT reflect that he's good at math at ALL!!!" Yup. I admit it, he had me nearly convinced. Like I don't know he's a LAZY LAZY school kid!!!!! Like I don't know he's a slacker...Like I don't know Sam always wants the EASIEST option!! Mr. Bowers looked right in my eyes and laughed at me. Ok ~ So he belongs in the class... So, the million dollar question is: How do you motivate a completely un-self-motivated kid?? I've tried grounding him from all his games, I don't really need to tell you all this stuff though, do I? You've listened to me go through this Sam vs. School hell for years. I know part of the problem is that he's SO DIFFERENT than me when it comes to school. Maybe in the end that will be a good thing?!? I was SO GUNG HO about school then I just sort of petered out. Maybe he'll kick in late and be in it for the long haul...I can hope and pray for that, right!! So, long story short, the teachers told me the EXACT same thing his teachers have always told me. Very bright, intelligent, a great kid and a joy to have in class...he's not working to his potential. I pray that "not working to his potential" is the mantra of his childhood and not his life. I really liked Mrs. Hildebrand. She was very kind to me and seemed to really understand what I'm dealing with. She told me at the beginning of our meeting that she had a "gifted" child and it's NO GIFT. She is right about that!!! It's a pain in my arse!!! Well, I'll let you all know tomorrow how Liam and Maggie are doing. Love you guys!!

2 comments:

  1. Hon, you are doing a wonderful job with Sam. With prayer and staying on him, he will be just fine. Liam and Maggie will be fine as well. Liam is working really hard to make progress. Maggie is your model student. She excells and we are very proud of her. I do believe that Sam will improve, for a little while, and make progress. They are blessed to have you as their mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Cheryl, I can almost feel your anguish in your post. (((HUGS))) You are such a wonderful person, wife, mother, and friend. Sam might not realize it now, but one day he'll look back and be thankful that you rode him so hard. As parents, all we want for our kids is for them to be happy, healthy, and to ALWAYS do their best. Sometimes their idea of "their best" and our idea of "their best" are two totally different things. Sucks....I know!! Just know that you and Sam are in my prayers, and things will begin to improve for him...you'll see!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete