Thursday, February 12

Our Adventure...subtitled I Am Something of a Dork!

Ok, so yesterday was Jon's birthday and my efforts to make it special were wildly successful! Tuesday, before he got home I blew up balloons and hung streamers, put out our Happy Birthday sign and spread his gifts and cards on our "birthday" tablecloth. Tuesday night I made a sunshine chiffon cake FROM SCRATCH! I cannot tell a lie, it only turned out ok...I've never made a cake from scratch before. Then yesterday, after we put the kids on the bus, we got our work outs out of the way and headed to Columbus. We went to Jareds and dropped off my engagement ring to be sized, I haven't been able to wear it comfortably for a couple years and not at all for months. We were disappointed to find out that my wedding ring can not be sized at all :( ! So, I've picked out a new one I'd like to have and we should be able to afford it roughly NEVER!! Because, of course I didn't like any that were affordable. It's a curse, what can I tell you? After that we picked up our honey baked ham and went to Hoggy's for lunch. It was very nice. We don't get to go out to eat, just the two of us, often at all! I told them it was his birthday, and we squabbled in front of the waitress about him wanting to leave if they were going to sing...so being the sweet lady she was she didn't subject him to the singing but just brought him a huge piece of delicious chocolate cake quietly at the end.
Well, poo...work just called and I need to sign in there and do a little ...I'll post this and come back to it later. Love you all!
I'm back... so anyway, we went out had a nice lunch, ran to Wal-Mart to pick up a couple things just because we were close to a Wal-Mart...you do that when you live in the sticks ya know. Then we came home and waited for the kids to get home. We did the whole cake thing and had ham for supper and fun was had by all. THEN we went to bed...blissfully unaware. There was a huge storm headed for Columbus, but we were not under any warnings to speak of. Tornados, high winds and thunderstorms don't cross county lines! Well, at 12:30am I woke up to howling winds and no electric! Jon had been awake for awhile, he'd already rounded up a flashlight and a lantern. He told me then he'd been thinking about waking everyone up to go downstairs...he NEVER even thinks about going to the basement, so I must have slept throught the worst of it. He set the alarm on his cell phone and I went back to sleep. Jon called around 1am to let Consolidated Electric know we were without power and I think he didn't get a whole lot of sleep at all. Sorry hon! I slept like a log anyway. But, still woke up tired...I don't do well with interrupted sleep. So, Jon got up and went to work like normal and called on my cell phone to wake us up when it was time. We got ready and ate breakfast by candle light this morning. The kids thought it was kind of cool and I have to admit, I wasn't that put out by the whole thing. Because I'm a dork... I was actually a tiny bit disappointed when it came back on at about 1:15 this afternoon. You see, I'm reading this book right now called The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon. It's part of the Outlander series and takes place a few years prior to the revolutionary war. I kind of felt like I was "on set". I kept imagining how Claire(the main character) would handle situations. I thought about her all morning as I prepared cold breakfast and got the kids dressed by candle light. I know, I'm a dork! I just couldn't help it! I imagined that we were living in revolutionary times and it wasn't so bad. Took the sting out of the whole episode. So, after I got the kids off I took a nap and when I got up I got to work. First I cleaned out the cooler and transferred all out fridge food to it and stuck it outside (which was cold, praise God). Then I went through the house preparing to be without power again tonight. The sun was out and I kept thinking that that was a blessing and about how in the 1700's women must have done the same scurrying through the house to get stuff done while it was still light out. I cleaned the kids rooms and made sure there were candles in safe places in every room for when we would need them tonight. I planned to have ham sandwiches as that would not require any "cooking". I thought we could play a game after dark...I was totally caught up in the adventure of it! Then, darnit, the power kicked back on. I was torn, on the one hand all those candles really don't mix well with kids and I'd been kind of fretting in the back of my mind about one of the kids catching something on fire...on the other hand, it destroyed my little imaginary world. Oh well, guess I'll just have to go back to reading about it ;) ! That's all for now folks...Love you all!

3 comments:

  1. Dork!! Actually, I love candles, just don't like being cold! Glad you've got power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ours flickered off and on a few times, but it didn't go out for any long period of time-Thank God!! Last September was enough for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is without a doubt the pot calling the kettle black with you two girls, you're both a little dorky!

    ReplyDelete