Wednesday, July 29

State Fair or BUST!!

We did it! Today, we went to the state fair!
The had $3 admissions and we had a coupon from Kroger for 1 free admission, so we all got in for $12!! We have a strict routine at the fair...to me the fair is like Christmas, positively DRIPPING in tradition. We go EVERY year ~ without fail, I cannot miss the fair! We tried skipping it once a few years back, but I was SO DEPRESSED the whole time it was going on that Jon took some money out of savings and we went the last night that year. I can't even say it rates just under Christmas...it is possible that if I had to give up one or the other the fair would win out! When we were kids my dad hyped the fair up BIG TIME!! I'm talking serious hype, like driving the perimeter for weeks before opening day to watch the preperations taking place. Consequently, it is one of (if not THE) my favorite times of the year! Thanks to my OCD (haha) I get a bit miffed if they try to steer me in through any door other than the cardinal entrance. That is the entrance I prefer to start at...heading first to the 4-H building, then the arts and crafts. Sadly, the arts and crafts seems to be a dying tradition. There were maybe a dozen quilts this year and only like 4 or 5 doll houses...sad, I think. Also, the train exhibit is gone :(. I usually grab some fried cheese and eat it going through the sheep building, followed by the commercial building, the horse and cow barn and the dairy barn. It had just stopped raining when we got there, the kids were not thrilled with me taking their pic in front of the cardinal...stupid kids! they never respect tradition! lol
Liam was the only one brave enough to milk the cow this year...
Crazy-dairy-lady-say-touch-WHAT??
Okay, if you're SURE!
Maggie rode a pony ride as her consolation...
In the natural resources area they had free kayaking this year, but she wasn't tall enough! She cried, and I felt bad, so I took her to ride the silly pony while the boys waited their turn.
Liam had a lot of trouble with it and even said when he got out that it was harder than it looked, Sam took right to it though!
We had a wonderful family bonding day! Hopefully, my excitement bleeds through to them and one day they will carry on! Love you all!!

1 comment:

  1. The only think I remember about the Fair is how much Poppy HATED it, LOL! Looks like you all had a great time! - T

    ReplyDelete