Monday, February 15

God Forsaken Ohio

That is where I live.

IMG_0812I really have had enough of the snow. Really, truly.

Early this afternoon, we took Jon to the airport and dropped him off. We had approximately 8 inches of snow bearing down on us and he thought he’d rather wait at the airport than have us out on the roads during the heaviest part of the snowfall. That plan backfired on us in a number of ways. The most quickly obvious was that we did NOT beat the snow.

It started in heavily as we were on our way to Columbus and  did not stop or slow down in the least all the way there or back. I have the luxury of being a housewife. So, I rarely venture out of the house when we have big snowfalls. No need to. Honestly, therefore, I cannot remember the last time I had to go out and drive on snow. Well, I mean snow like that. The kind where 4 inches falls in 2 hours. The kind of snowfall in which the road is completely covered 5 minutes after the road warriors have plowed. Add to the snow on the roads quarter mile visibility. The snow was falling that hard and fast. AND my windshield wipers kept freezing up. For a good 30 miles on the way back I had to slouch to peer through a 2 inch strip of clean windshield. It got so bad that I had to navigate to the berm (which had not been plowed AT ALL) to clean off my wipers. I pulled over on I-71 near 36…and let me tell you…God was with me. Less than an hour after I stopped there there was a HUGE accident near there. According to CBS news (local) there are dozens of cars involved. I believe the accident is on southbound and I was on northbound ~ so my point is the roads…they are BAD.

But, that is not enough. It’s not that easy. About 40 minutes into our nearly 2 hour trip home, the text messages started coming from Jon. His flight was delayed…the runways were temporarily closed…talk of shutting down the airport…and finally, his flight was cancelled. What is a good wife to do???

I’ll never know if I made the right call or not…but I continued home with my precious cargo. I was close to home and scared and stressed out and I’d been driving for 25 miles an hour for, well, for an hour. I debated dropping the kids off somewhere and going after him…briefly. In the end, I decided I’m of more use to all of them alive than dead and dead is a distinct possibility on those roads. Then, I told him to get a hotel room near the airport if he could find transportation. They did have something running snowbound passengers to local hotels. So, that is where my honey is right now. At some seedy hotel near Port Columbus. He’s been rescheduled to a flight tomorrow at 11:20 am. Frankly, I have serious doubts about that flight making it out too. And I’ve already given up ANY hope the kids will have school tomorrow.

If it doesn’t stop snowing soon, like really soon, I am going to cry. Cry and blubber and flip my finger over my lips like a babbling crazy person. You would think God is trying to chase me out of Ohio or something.

IMG_0815

For every pretty picture, there’s a road that can’t be traversed.

IMG_0817

Or even seen for that matter.

And I’m not feelin’ the love right now!

IMG_0820  2

Except for you all, of course.

4 comments:

  1. "You would think God is trying to chase me out of Ohio or something. "

    The Lord works in mysterious ways ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call Stephanie, tell her the house is for sale! The sun is shining on us now, 50's on Friday. I am glad you used your brain and went home. Love you,

    ReplyDelete
  3. You kill me! Get down here, our snowmageddon lasted only 12 hours!! -Tee

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU love snow!!!! I really believe I have heard that out of your mouth MANY times!!! I'm with your Momma, get a sign in the yard....and GO!!!

    and I want you to know for me to say that, it took a lot!!! I really don't want you to GO....but....with that being said, I do love you and would not wish this friggin Ohio weather on anyone!!! Now with that being said, I am still selfish and if you GO...I have a nice sunny place to visit :) Love ya~

    ReplyDelete