Saturday, February 6

My Bad Night

Did you ever see the movie The Little Rascals? I love that movie. I thought of it last night…one line in particular. The line where Alfalfa says, “and the clouds opened up and God said, “I hate you Alfalfa”.” That is how I felt last night.

We had a doozy of a snow storm hit yesterday afternoon and evening. The kids got out of school early. Liam already had plans to spend the night with a friend, and we didn’t cancel it. I had some serious doubts but spoke with the other mother and relented. They have a 4wheel drive truck and she had no concerns about getting him home. Plus, I knew if I cancelled it he would be totally ticked off at me!! So, Mags and Sam were home early and I thought it would be a really cozy weekend.

It had started so well you see…I was baking cookies, I got flowers from my husband.

IMG_0741

All was right with the world. Things started going bad around 4pm. I called to order pizza for supper. Kelly’s pizza, because Jon doesn’t like Kelly’s…and the kids and I DO. But, I called and there was no answer. Didn’t surprise me really. The roads were pretty bad and I felt kinda crappy about asking her to deliver anyway, so I shrugged my shoulders, decided it wasn’t meant to be and started on some crust to make homemade. I’ve been attempting to perfect homemade pizza for years and we have a pretty good thing going at this point. So, while things were not going as planned, I was not yet ruffled. That didn’t happen until we were eating and I suddenly realized the furnace was idling. Like in the warm up phase…only it just kept doing that and doing that and doing that. Never kicking on. So, me being me, I freaked the heck out. Started melting down, turned off the furnace. Having visions of the kids and I passing out from CO poisoning. Going to bed and never waking up. I know, I have issues. I called Jon and wigged out on him, poor guy. He called Alum Creek H&C. Then they called me. Long story short…i turned off the furnace, cranked up the propane heaters in the basement and went to bed. Half expecting to never wake up. I know, you think I’m joking, but I seriously do have issues. Y’all know it’s true.

This morning the guy from Alum Creek came out and got the furnace running. Snow is clogging the fresh air pipe from outside (on the roof of course), so he told me to leave the panel off so it could pull fresh air from the house. Which looks like this:

IMG_0749See all those little jets of fire? He figures I should leave it open like this for a week or so. Are you kidding me??? No? Please? I am consumed with paranoia I tell you. A total freak, I am.

Despite all that…today is a good day. We have heat, I have chili in the crock pot and the kids have given me 2 minutes of peace while they played in the snow twice!

IMG_0757And hey! Guess what? When the snow finally stopped…the sun came out!! Isn’t that how it always happens? Love you all!

IMG_0756

2 comments:

  1. Oh sweetie...been there done that!! I wish you would have called; Brian was home by 2, and could have run over real quick, and saved you the H&C bill!! Glad your Saturday is looking up!! <3 ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, you are a crazy girl! The sun looks wonderful, it has been 3 days since we saw it last! The flowers are gorgeous, the sky is blue, and the snow is white, relax and hunker down with some cocoa! Love you,

    ReplyDelete