Sunday, June 28

Our Batty Buddy and the Crushing Defeat


Time for a little more catch up!
Again, I'm going with last things first ~ because, while I recognize the need to tell you about the game (you know, the one I went on and on about last week) I still don't like thinking about it...I rank it right up there with Ohio State losing to Florida!
Yesterday morning, we had a new little visitor! We named him Buddy. Have you ever seen such a thing? He was just hanging under the eaves ~ he woke up and left around 8pm last night. Jon and I decided he needs to build a bathouse for me...I certainly would love for the little guy to hang around if that is his desire! He can just help himself to all those nasty mosquitos in our yard! I do so love living in the country!!
Thursday, was the big game...but first let me put this into perspective for you...
Marengo Blue has a long history of being the "best" team in the league. They have a dedicated coach and a group of boys that have been playing baseball together every year since T-ball. During pre-season tournaments, they beat our boys twice. Neither time by a large margin, but a loss is a loss...we thought! Many of the boys on that team are classmates of the boys on our team ~ they go to school together once they hit the middle school. Sam badly wanted to win this game, because he and a few of his friends had ragged each other unmercifully before school let out...I THOUGHT it was good natured. When it comes right down to it though, I'm still something of an outsider here and let me tell you, I COMPLETELY underestimated the level of animosity between Marengo and Highland (which is TOTALLY STUPID, btw)! That game was pure UGLY from start to finish! Our boys have had a phenomenal season this year...going into that game they had only lost one game. They have been playing really well together and rising to the challenge to win against a few good teams! Which is doubly impressive because last year they won ONE GAME all YEAR!! Consequently, they have not been practicing since the season started, why fix what is not broken? Right. On the flip side, Marengo had lost three games going into out match up and apparently, they did practice. I guess it just boils down to them wanting the win more than we did...but some things are just out of line. Like, the scribblings on the inside of our boys dugout that said "Suck it, HYO Blue", among other things. Really? Was that necessary. They were out for blood and our boys fell apart. The game was called in the bottom of the fourth inning for lightening and the score was something like 15-1 then. It was sad ~ being the outsider I just cannot understand why the parents not only condone but encourage this level of competition. These boys have to play every other sport together at the middle school. There were some hard feelings going on and I think it's unfortunate. So, in the end, I comfort myself with the fact that we have 2 losses now and they still have 3! And they better watch out come end of season tournaments...because our boys will be READY!!
Oh well, better wrap this up and get ready for church! Love you all!!

3 comments:

  1. That's really, really sad, about the game. And I don't only blame the parents for their behavior, but isn't it the job of the coach(es) to teach the boys SPORTSMANSHIP!!??? It's infuriating. And it's sad. But like you said, Highland Blue only has 2 losses...they still have 3!!
    Love your little bat, btw...hope you get the bat house!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I unlike Angie DO NOT like your little bat....GROSS!!!!!! Eating the bugs great but having a bat....EEEEWWWW!!!!
    See I am kinda girly?!
    About the loss...hmmm...I have lived here most of my life. Some things just never change, sad, but true! The one thing we can say is that our boys are better than that and we do not need to write NASTY HATEFUL MEAN RUDE comments on the dugouts! They will get what they deserve in the end...and so will our hard working, well coached, better than that boys!!!!!
    And that is all I have to say about that~

    ReplyDelete
  3. On my soap box: While I agree with Katie that good sportmanship does fall into the coaching role, it is totally the responsibility of the parents to teach their children respect and fair, good natured competition. The fruit does not fall far from the tree.....I am so sorry that there are some things that just don't change.

    ReplyDelete