Sunday, September 13

Garlic Breath

As you all well know by now, I have been experimenting in the kitchen lately. Attempting to broaden my horizons, if you will. I've had many successes...until today. Today, I was unimpressed. Maggie requested Spaghetti and Meatballs. Spaghetti I have made a thousand times, meatballs? Never. I figured "How hard can it be?" Then, I got myself carried right away, is what I did. I got too big for my apron. Which doesn't matter in the end. The kids and I had fun. That's all that matters right? Even my failures teach me lessons though. Today I learned:
  1. If the kids help me prepare a meal, they will eat it. Not only will they eat it, but when I say "Do you think maybe I added too much salt?" They gulp their milk half a glass at a time and shake their pretty little heads no.
  2. Kids love balling food. Snickerdoodles. Meatballs. It doesn't matter. If they get to dig around in uncooked food, they are happy.
  3. Kids don't lick their fingers when they ball meatballs the way they do with cookies. Maybe I should tell them there's sausage in the snickerdoodles.
  4. I didn't think I'd like "frying" meat on the stove top and I was right. That dadgum grease hurts when it pops.
  5. Prego really doesn't need doctored up. At least not the way I did it. It was better off the way it started. Yup, won't do that again.
  6. If I make spaghetti and meatballs, Jon is suddenly struck with a mystery illness that prevents him from eating supper.
  7. And finally, but certainly NOT least important...7 cloves of garlic is way too much. I do mean way too much. I could kill dracula right now with a single exhalation. I am killing myself. I seriously cannot stand my own breath right now. Jon, bless his heart, will probably sleep on the couch tonight. Yeah, it's really that bad. What's that? I think I just heard Liam tattle because Maggie is breathing towards his bedroom on purpose.
On the brighter side, I made sourdough bread for the first time ever this afternoon. It turned out pretty good. With one exception. I'm out of butter. Lord, help me. What in the sahm heck was I thinkin' making sourdough bread with no butter in the house. I sure ain't puttin' margarine on homemade sourdough bread. That would be blasphemy. So, I guess I'll stick it in a big baggie and save it until I go to the grocery this week.
I love you all!!

2 comments:

  1. Fresh garlic is to be used sparingly, very sparingly. Funny post thogh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fresh garlic, but can't imagine using 7 cloves!! YOWZA!! How's the breath today!?! LOL

    ReplyDelete