Wednesday, September 2

Samuels First Stand

Sam had his first middle school football game today...his first football game period for that matter. He made me proud, mostly. There was one brief moment of embarassment. Who am I kidding? This game was a smorgasborg of embarassment. Somehow, my son was the one kid on those buses who sat in the seat that had gum stuck to it. No ~ I would not joke about this. So not only did he play the whole game with gum stuck to his derriere, now I have to figure out how to get said gum OFF the behind of those stupid WHITE pants before tomorrow. But, we won't get into all that.We had GORGEOUS weather for his first game. Blue skies, around 73 degrees...perfect for some football! I LOVE this picture...
But, I'm getting ahead of myself. Sam is now in middle school. The biggest difference I guess is that he doesn't ride to the games with his Mommy anymore. I dropped him off at the middle school at 2:30 and he rode the bus to the game. Aaaaaahhhhhhhh!! Sorry ~ a little outburst from the control freak in me. Sam and I prayed on the way to his school and I was pleased to hear from him that they do say a prayer in huddle before the games start.
Anyhoo...consequently, Jon and the kids and I were already in the bleachers when Sam got there. With gum on his butt.Here they come...
Sam started today. Actually, he played almost the whole game on offense. He did not play at all on defense. Okay, another flash of embarassment. I cannot tell a lie. I seriously used red eye removal to make the gum on Sam's tushie look like a dirt stain. Him and no. 4 were doing the tango the whole game. I wonder if Mr no. 4 noticed the gum on Sam's arse.
Hahaha ~ You can't see the gum now can you?? Unfortunately, he was jsut short of catching this at the 4th down. A completion doesn't count if you're not far enough downfield. It barely made it to him as it was... he had 2 completions in the game. Which makes for a pretty good average since they only passed the ball to him twice. The other one I didn't catch on camera but it was a 1st down!! Yeah Sam! Go gumbutt!!
Here they are doing the tango again.
But, all his efforts were for naught. I'm afraid they lost this one in the 4th quarter. Well, I guess almost all games are technically lost in the 4th quarter. What I really mean is Harding scored in the 4th quarter...they were tied 0-0 until there were only like 2 minutes left. The Highland bit dust and let Marion score.
Good game, good game, good game...the mantra of Sam's childhood.
It was fun. Middle school games haven't changed since I was in school. The only thing that would have made it better was a win. And of course maybe for Sam to not have gum all over his tail end for the whole game.
Love you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment