Sunday, October 25

AAhhhh...Sweet Independence

I am an enabler. I confess. My children are being raised in danger of not knowing how to do anything. Every once in awhile I catch myself. I stop and look at what I'm doing. And I think "What is WRONG with me? Why am I doing this for them? They are old enough to do this for themselves." Then, more often than not, I go ahead and do it anyway. Like the fact that I still clean my 12 year old sons bedroom. And I make their beds. I pour their cereal in the morning for heavens sake! I would like to think that I do these things for them out of love. But that is not entirely true. Unfortunately, I am a perfectionist. And in my rare moments of clarity I see that my need for everything to be done just so is crippling my kids. So today, when Liam wanted to help make his ramen noodles I did the unthinkable (for me). I let him make them himself.

And do you know what? An 8 year old is perfectly capable of making ramen noodles. It was a revelation for me. And I believe it was a revelation for him as well. Jon is not quite convinced. He doesn't really like the idea of Liam using the oven/stove. Now, I'm not saying we shouldn't be in the kitchen...but I am sayin' "Hats off to my boy!"


He felt a great sense of accomplishment ~ ramen noodles (which he call chicken noodles) are his FAVORITE!! He's proud that he can prepare his favorite food all by himself. And I'll try not to take it pesonally that he told me these noodles were the BEST chicken noodles he's ever had.

He's still a newbie to cooking, so he doesn't realize yet that food ALWAYS tastes better when someone else has to make it!
I love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Great job Liam!! And Cheryl...you need to let those children of yours pour their own cereal AND milk!!! It's hard at first, I know...been there done that!! But it is exptremely liberating...not only for them, but for us as well!! I let Andy make sausage links a few weeks ago; I was nervous, and I was very close at hand, but the look of pride he had on his face was priceless!! When I think back to when I was a kid...I was preparing 80-90% of the meals for my mom, who was a working single mom. I can't imagine NOT cooking for my family, but they need to learn how to fend for themselves...as mom's, it is our job!! Godd luck with letting go!!

    ReplyDelete