Tuesday, October 27

To Be Understood


Tis sweet. And peppery.Yummy even.
Yesterday, we received a care package from Grannie Annie, God Bless her soul!
It was a scrumdidlyumptious package. Spicy and exotic and so very exciting for me. I've shared with you in the past that I have always enjoyed baking. I started baking at a fairly young age. Packaged stuff, brownies and cakes. Then later cookies. One of my favorite annual events has always been making Christmas Cookies. It's baking and Christmas in one ~ how awesome is that!? And there is just nothing about baking to not love. Generally, it's pretty easy in the grunt work department. Add to that the delectable smells that fill your house and then you get to EAT IT! Really? I ask you...WHAT is not to love?? I wish, truly, that you could have smelled the box she sent me. I've unpacked the box...but it is still sitting on the countertop and I periodically stop as I walk through the kitchen and stick my head in it and inhale deeply.

The box had delights untold in it. Like whole vanilla beans. I have never in my life had whole vanilla bean thingys. I don't know what to do with them. But, ignorance has never stopped me before and it sure won't stop me now! I have the internet and you just rest assured...I'll find what to do with them.
Anne also sent whole cloves (hence the divine smell). I'm so glad I asked Jon to buy me that fancy mortar and pestle a couple years ago ;).

Then, there's the nuts. Macadamias, slivered almonds and walnuts (or pecans?) I really struggle identifying between the two. Consequently, I tend to use them
interchangeably in recipes.


And the cutest little autumn cookie cutters. I'm telling you truly, I was positively in bliss going through all the goodies in that box.  Did you know there are different types of cinnamon? No, oh thank God. Me either! I kid you not, I have always bought my cinnamon at the dollar store. They always have the big jar 2/$1. After I received my package of happiness I went to the website the goodies came from:
and was blown away. This sweet act of kindness from Grannie Annie could lead to bad bad bad places. The world of the spice snob beckons...I will try to resist...but it smells good. I can't make any promises!
I love you all!!
PS The kids loved their trinkets too!! :)

1 comment:

  1. I <3 Penzey Spices!! I believe there is one on Henderson Rd. in Columbus, but I've always ordered online. Their double strength vanilla is divine!! Have fun with all your wonderful goodies!! Can't wait to hear all about your baking endeavors!!

    ReplyDelete