Wednesday, October 14

The Four Food Groups

Today, I babysat Cash Wilson. Jon and I both enjoy keeping him, we've decided it's a taste of what being a grandparent will be like. We're grandparents in training, if you will. It's all the joy of having a kid around without any of the drudgery. You just don't have to say no when they're not yours. You don't have to worry so much about their character development, or their long term health, or their teeth. It's not that you don't want them to be healthy and morally upright and all. It's just that worrying about it is someone elses job. And that's fun. So, I'm on a learning curve here and I learned something new! Did you know that the four food groups as you know them are variable? These are the four foodgroups of the "grandparent":

1. Bacon, no, no eggs, just bacon. And more bacon. And more.
My sister-in-law, Carolina, calls bacon the "candy of meats". I think she's onto something there.



2. Pure unadulterated sugar. The kind Mom and Dad just won't give you. You know what I'm talking about. How many Mom's say yes to the Mtn. Dew/Candy combo? I know my kids don't get it. Ever.



3. Popcorn. Ok, I confess, even my kids consider popcorn a food group.

And last, but in Cash's estimation certainly not least,

4. Cookies. In this instance I use the term cookie very loosely. It's actually a very stale Oreo, but 2 year olds don't have a discriminating palette when it comes to cookies. He was just thrilled that it was orange.

So, now he has gone with his mommy and my kids are on their way home. I guess it's time to morph back to mommy myself and figure out which vegetable I'm going to torture my kids with for supper.
I love you all!

2 comments:

  1. hmmm....I WILL pay you "grandparents in training" back...not sure how...but it will soooo happen!!! HOWEVER you are doing me a HUGE favor by keeping my sweet lil one, so maybe not too bad of a pay back!!! Thank you both for taking such good care Cash this week, it has meant so much to know he is with you both!!!

    PS....did you really give him Mt. Dew ?! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a grandparent, you can feed them all you want until their eyes bulge, but as when parents we never, ever let them run with scissors!

    ReplyDelete