Thursday, August 27

FUN DAY!!!

This afternoon was "Fun Day". It wasn't actually a whole day, more like an hour and a half...but when you're trying to sell kids on doing a workbook full of school work when they're supposed to be off for the summer, Fun DAY sounds a lot better than Fun Hour and a half. Don't you think?? Jon and I both went in to help out and I was really glad we did. I have never helped with this particular activity before...therefore I did not realize that it is in no way PTO sponsored. This is all on the school/teachers/principal. I always assumed it was "worked" by the PTO...but no. In case you're not in the know...over the summer the kids each had a "workbook" geared toward their grade. It was called Summer Counts and it's intended purpose is to prevent the children from forgetting everything they've learned over the summer. My understanding is that studies have shown that kids lose something close to 40% of what they learn during the summer months. For that reason I LOVE this program. If the kids complete these books (which are purchased by the principal, he has a candy sale every 2 years to raise $'s for these books and pizza rewards for the kids) they receive entrance to the "Fun Day". Most of the stuff for fun day is donated, and God Bless Mrs Orsborn and Mrs Howenstine...I suspect it was all a lot of work. Oh and Pam too, let's not forget her! There were VERY few volunteers. I was shocked...I've never seen anything at that school so understaffed before. I don't know if that is normal for this event or not...because as I said I've never come in for it before. I certainly will from now on though! I hate fighting with Liam all summer about doing the book. I love what it accomplishes!
There were all kinds of games, 2 bouncy houses and a sand art station where the kids made bracelets.
Liam, typically, was a fart in a mitten.
They had so much fun.
Right before they left, they each received a popsicle, a piece of candy and a small toy.
Liam decided it was worth doing the workbook.
Thank God!!!!
I'm having one of those rare days in which I look at my children in total and complete awe. They are SUCH a blessing. They are so PERFECT!! I mean, really, look at them! They're proof of grace...because I guarantee you I have never done anything to deserve them. Thank you Lord!!
I love you all!!

3 comments:

  1. Glad the kids had fun!!!!! Oh and yes "fun day" does sound MUCH better than "fun hour and a half"....you are very blessed!!! We all are!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All you had to do was ask about Fun Day...I could have told you, the PTO has nothing to do with it. :o) Thank God!! lol Don't tell Liam yet, but unless something changes this year, 3rd graders will not get Summer Counts books at the end of the year. Bummer...I know. My kids hated it!! I am so glad that your kids had fun, and I agree with you and Kate....we all so very blessed!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea what "fart in a mitten" means, but I'm stealing it and using it often. -T

    ReplyDelete