Saturday, August 29

I "CAN" Do It!

Things I learned today:
1. Canning tomatoes is VERY messy.
2. Canning tomatoes takes a LOT of boiling water.
3. Aunt Becky canned tomatoes over an open fire once just for the experience. Which totally appeals to me. Cause I'm a goob that's why. She won't do it again. She said it was a real pain. But, it's a cool thing anyway, right?
4. I'm slightly afraid of a pot that large full of roiling, boiling water. But, I can overcome it. I did overcome it.
5. I'm also slightly afraid of that can grabber thingy. Aunt Becky is so trusting. She just grabs it and lifts. I kind of wriggle it around and test it if you will. I do NOT trust the can grabber thingy. I just know one day it won't work and I'll drop a boiling hot jar of tomatoes on my toe.
6. Aunt Becky is a domestic queen. There's nothing she can't do in a kitchen. If she doesn't know how, the Ancient One does.
7. The Ancient One is her Kerr canning book, which belonged to Gram in the olden days. Dang, why didn't I think to take a picture of the Ancient One??
8. Canning tomatoes isn't that hard.
9. Canning tomatoes IS time consuming. VERY time comsuming. We did 4 batches today.
10. A batch is 7 jars. See, you learn something new everyday. I do anyway.
I've decided this is something I will definitely continue to do. I think I'm gonna like not having to buy canned tomatoes all winter. I plan on trying my hand at it again alone in a few weeks. If I have enough tomatoes that is.
I love you all!

3 comments:

  1. Looks Great!!! So let me know when you are back at it!!! I'd love to come over and try?! How 'bout that pizza sauce? I think that is a Great idea....let me know!!

    *very proud of you* however, had NO doubt you would not get an A+!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Becky was Grams fave, so she got all the good books. Pleased that you enjoyed the ordeal, which is how I look at it. But give me a yard of fabric.........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Canning is very time consuming, but well worth the effort in my opinion!! So glad it went well for you!! All those jars, filled to the brim, look awesome!!

    ReplyDelete