Monday, August 31

My Hands On Learner

Last year in Mrs. Swickard's class, Liam learned about bugs and milkweed. At that time, he gave me a ration of poo about not having any milkweed in my garden. I refused to plant any in the flower beds and he was disgruntled for weeks.
Today, he discovered that we had some growing wild back by the stream in the corner. So, he came in and turned the charm on. I'm a lump of putty when Liam grins. So, not only did I rustle up a jar and lid for him...I demanded, very nicely of course, that Jon go downstairs and cut out a square of screening for him.
We searched ~ not for long really and spotted his prey. Ok, actually we spotted his prey three different times. I overestimated their ability to cling to a branch and lost 2 of them. I cut the milkweed and they fell right off into the abyss of weeds below. Finally, I cupped my hand under the last little booger.
Liam put in plenty of milkweed-y stuff. He's very hopeful the caterpillar will get comfortable and build a chrysallis.
He was so excited about the whole thing. I could not pay this kid enough money to read a book about caterpillars and butterfiles ~ this is more up his alley!
We'll keep you posted on the caterpillar progress!
Love you all!

1 comment: