Tuesday, August 25

So Far, So Good

The kids are back at school. I thought perhaps you'd like to know how that is going? We'll start with me! I am doing great!! My house stays clean for approximately 6 hours everyday. I can go about my everyday tasks uninterrupted. No Liam chasing Maggie through the house with a nerf gun. No Maggie chasing the dog through the house with a dress and a brush. No Sam verbally abusing Maggie and Liam. Why are oldest siblings so critical?? Can anyone tell me that? But, I digress. I'm well rested and getting things done around here!
Sam is doing well, I think. You know what it's like to try and get Sam talking. From what I've gathered, he likes most of his classes. He is enjoying being in the main building this year with all the other 7th graders. Last year he was in the Slack Center pretty much all day, which is a small building next to the main school building. So, he was with the same group of kids most of the day. This year, every class is different. He says he likes getting to see lots of different friends all day, I'm thinkin' he likes seeing lots of different GIRLS. He is still playing football, but I have to say I think his knees have taken some of the joy out of it for him. He's sticking it out, but I think that's all he is doing. He isn't enjoying it like he was. He even told me last night he's been moved to second string. He said it's because he isn't as fast as he was...I think it's because the coaches see what I see. The light has left his eyes when it comes to football. He doesn't love it more than he loves his knees. Which just goes to show he's no dummy! I suspect that now that he knows there is such a thing as fall baseball, his football career will only last one season, but we shall see.
Liam. Ah, Liam, he's a bit more complicated. Third grade is going to be a big jump for him. Of course, I say that every year for Liam. He has more homework this year, though not yet as bad as I was afraid it would be. Last year was the first year that the 3rd graders at our school switched classes. Liam has 3 teachers this year (not including art, music and all that jazz). last year was a veritable hell for the 3rd grade class, the teachers had some adjustments to make. I believe, from what I've seen so far, that communications have improved and that the teachers have ironed out the kinks. He has, as I said, more homework, but nothing outlandish. He seems to be all over the place with the papers he brings home. Yesterday he brought home a stack that had like 5 100's and a 45 on his spelling test. He also totally bombed his STAR test, which is a test they take on the computer to asses their reading skills. I mean he BOMBED it...tested at the 3rd month of the 2nd grade. I freaked out on him a little bit. He is very resistant when it comes to homework of any kind...I informed him, rather loudly I'm afraid, that if he gave me any crap about doing his homework I'd go talk to his teachers about putting him back in the 2nd grade. I know it sounds cruel, but he HAS to grow up about the whole homework thing. If it was up to him, he'd have the 1st grade equivalent of hw for the rest of his life. I cannot handle fighting with him about this for the next 10 years... I think he understands now that he does not have a choice. He WILL have more hw every year...and he WILL do it. I'm not a total hag though. I sat with him the entire time yesterday and coached him through it. Which he was very demonstratively appreciative of. We've taken to studying his science vocab flash cards during commercials in the evening, just for extra practice. It's going to be a big, growing, tough year for Liam. My moms prayer group will have to pray him through it! :)
Maggie, ah, Maggie ~ she is doing fabulous of course (aside from the fact that she's a lousy artist). I dont' think she's brought home anything but 100's. Last week, she was actully upset that she didn't have any homework all week. She is so by the book she cracks me up. Mrs Swickard gives them their homework schedule on Friday for the entire next week. She was itching to do some schoolwork all weekend, but she wouldn't do any of her hw because Mrs Swickard said they weren't to. She HAS to do everything exactly the way Mrs Swickard says ~ you would think Swickards got a crystal ball! Yesterday, she came home and went straight to her desk, did her homework (very neatly I might add) and promptly put it in her scot book in her bookbag. Then she sat down in a chair outside to read for a half hour. Lordy me, why can't they all be that easy? And I can't help but wonder, one day will I have to make up for it? What is so easy with her...will it balance out later? Like when she starts dating? I think maybe I'd rather have the homework problem, it's at least a known evil! Of course, already she and I fight like cats and dogs about her clothing choices nearly every day...so maybe that's the balance. I hope!

Jon still hasn't found a job and let me tell you...he and I are both starting to freak out a little bit. Please pray he finds something that will support our family soon.
I love you all!!

1 comment:

  1. Probably need to do something about the sparkle in Sams eye or he will get hurt. Liam is just Liam and if this is what it takes to get your undivided attention and help then just do it. Mags onthe other hand will be just like you, so yes, you need to be worried.........

    ReplyDelete